Now that in the previous two posts we have seen the setup of aws, nginx and wordpress. We need to setup the domain name and redirect it to correct place also we have to setup the SMTP for our wordpress mails to successfully reach the users.
For these settings we need following.
- Yandex account. Since we will use yandex smtp server.
- You have to buy domain name like abc.com. You can buy it from godaddy.com or bigrock.in.
- Easy WP-SMTP plugin in wordpress.
Lets start with DNS mapping-
After buying a domain you will get a control panel in all the domain name vendors.
- Go to control panel and search for DNS management.
- Inside DNS management find and click add a new record.
- After this add your domain name and your public ip. Also note that www.abc.com and abc.com are different when it comes to domain name mapping so add entries for both.
- Save the records and wait for some time. It takes some times for DNS to get refreshed everywhere. Once DNS is active you will be able to see your wordpress site when ever anyone enter your domain name.
- Note that your site is still in http. We will make it https in our next tutorial.
Now on the second step i.e. setting up the SMTP for our mails to be delivered.
- If you want your mails to be like firstname.lastname@example.org you have to make register a domain in yandex and then verify the domain.
- For verifying the domain, go to verify domain page and it will tell you what to do.
- It will ask you to create some random file with random key to put in root directory of your website.
- You can do it by following these steps.
ssh -i keyfile.pem ubuntu@public_ip
sudo vi randomname.html
press i to enter the random key.
save it. if you dont know how to save in VIM use ESC - > : -> wq -> enter.
- Now to back to yandex and click verify. Yandex will read the file and confirm your domain.
- Now you can create emails for your domain like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org etc.
- Now install this Easy-WP-SMTP plugin . It will help you configure your SMTP.
- Open the settings page of the plugin and enter the following details.
- SMTP host as smtp.yandex.com
- SMTP port as 465
- Type of encryption as SSL.
- SMTP Authentication as yes.
- Put yandex username and password.
- You are ready try and send a mail from test mail panel given in the plugins page only.
- If getting error check the from email id, it must exist.
These are the step how we configure the SMTP and DNS mapping. In the next post we will try to make our site run over SSL.
If you are having problem in setting up any of these please leave a comment or google or stackoverflow.
Next part of the tutorial is here
If you havent read the first and second part of the tutorial you can find them here.
Setting up WordPress Blog with aws and nginx: part 2
Setting up WordPress Blog with aws and nginx: Part 1
Do share and subscribe for latest posts on technology.
[…] Next part of the tutorial is live here. […]