- Setup and Boxes
- Starting and SSH into Box
- Syncing local folder to the virtual machine
- Setting up environment for the virtual machine
- Networking forwarding port to host machine and other options
- Sharing the Vagrant images
Conclusion and other points
Thus we reached to the basic usage of vagrant and we learned about provisioning, port forwarding sharing, boxes, ssh, reload and other environment settings. Vagrant is really easy to use and is compatible for the developers as they are comfortable with CLI.
Points to keep in mind:
- Vagrant will not work without any Virtual machine manager like Virtual Machine.
- Please keep track of all the virtual machines else you will not know how many machines are running and thus will result to memory consumptions and less memory for other applications.
- Keep the boxes and don’t delete them as it will has to download the box everytime.
- Vagrant is very powerful and can be used in automation very efficiently.
- Also if you have to work in say different operating systems, in such case vagrant is very useful as you can run your environment.
- It also provides options like multi-machine, plugins and others. You can explore all here.
Thus we learn how to use vagrant. you can harness the power of vagrant when you combine it with puppet and AWS apis. Vagrant is a great developer tool and must be used by everyone as it provides consistent environment from development to staging to productions.